Victoria is running a National School in survival skills over Easter 2021. The School will provide Venturers aged 15+ and Rovers with an opportunity to learn skills for the Bushcraft - Survival outdoor adventure skill, and Leaders with the skills to assess the OAS and run your own adventurous survival camps.
When and where will it take place?
The School will be held in the Little Desert. We will be staying at Arura Guide Camp, near Dimboola in western Victoria, from Friday April 2 to Monday April 5, 2021. Participants are required to arrive on Thursday night.
What is the program?
We’ll meet at Arura Guide Camp on Thursday evening. The School will begin on Friday morning with a bit of theory and training in core survival skills. On Saturday and Sunday we’ll be out in the Wail State Forest, surviving and learning more skills. Monday morning will be spent being rescued and wrapping up loose ends before the School concludes in the early afternoon.
What qualifications is the School offering?
The School is designed to address as much of the Survival stream of the Bushcraft Outdoor Adventure Skill as possible, and Venturers and Rovers will find that it’s a good grounding in that skill. The exact SIS10 outdoor recreation units we’ll cover is still under review, but it will be aimed at the Survival Guide qualification.
Who can apply?
The School is open to Venturers aged 15+, Rovers, and Leaders who meet the pre-requisites listed below. All participants must:
- be aged at least 15 years on April 10 2020
- have a reasonable level of fitness
- have a current Apply First Aid (HLTAID003) qualification
- have completed the following e-learning modules by March 1 2020:
- Operate communications systems (AA COMM)
- Interpreting weather (AA WEATHER)
- Responding to Emergencies (AA EMERG A)
- Elementary Navigation (E NAVIGATE) e-Learning modules
- Navigation Skills (AA NAVIGATE) e-Learning module
- Leaders and Rovers must have completed by March 1 2020:
- Bushwalking- Level 1, or
- Basic Outdoor Skills, or
- Basic Scout Bushwalking, or
- Bushwalking- Level 1 Assessment of Proficiency, or
- as an alternative to the above, Rovers must have completed a Squire Training including practical demonstration of the overnight camping and navigation components
- Venturers must have:
- completed Venturing Skills by March 1 2020, and
- have their Venturer Leader’s approval.
- Girl Guides Australia Leaders are welcome to apply; contact the organisers for pre-requisites.
What will it cost?
The course fee is $440. This will include:
- some accommodation
- some food
- some survival gear
- shirt (TBC)
*Note that transport to/from Arura Guide Camp is not included.
How do I apply?
Applications open at https://registrations.international.scouts.com.au/login.asp on November 16, 2020, and close on February 1, 2021.
Who do I contact for further information?
For further information, contact Lachlan Shield at firstname.lastname@example.org