Step your cycling skills up a gear with some of the fantastic activities offered through Scouting.
Whether you’re keen on the rush of mountain biking, have your dream bike hike planned, are a Leader wanting to take your youth members on cycling adventures or want to know your bike better, the Scout Cycling Team can deliver practical help and great advice.
For full information, dates, prices and registration links check out our 2020 team calendar here.
The Scout Cycling Team has qualified and trainee Mountain Bike Leaders who can run a variety of mountain biking courses and events:
- Come & Try Mountain Biking: a three-hour taster experience
- Intro to MTB: a day-long introduction to the technical skills of mountain biking
- Intermediate MTB Skills: a day-long event to further develop MTB skills
- Intermediate Ride days/weekends: social rides and events for MTB riders
Guide Skills course: Training for Leaders wanting to become MTB Guides
The Scout Cycling Team runs several cycling events that are open for youth members to participate throughout the year, such as:
- Rail trail rides: Single-day cycling-touring adventures
- Venturer Suburban Bike Hike: A weekend-long city-based bike hike
Jamboree on Pedals
Jamboree on Pedals (JOP) is a new initiative from the Scout Cycling Team to encourage Scout Groups and Sections to get riding. Held on the third full weekend of March. Groups register online, receive JOP badges and complete their own Jamboree on Pedals on the weekend, or at any stage during March. Registered Groups will also receive example programs and resources to help prepare for their adventure.
The Program Support Patrol helps Groups and Sections to incorporate cycling activities as a part of their regular program.
Cycling Skills for Section Leaders
This is a skill development course for Leaders who want to run cycling activities for their youth members (typically Joeys, Cubs & Scout sections). The course covers a range of skills, games and activities, as well as basic risk management and mechanical skills relevant to cycling.
The team can also provide advice on cycling programs and bike hikes, as well as providing assessors for badge work. The team has bike trailers that can be hired out for use on bike hikes.
The Scout Cycling Team also coordinates several training events around bike maintenance and mechanics for interested Scout members, as well as providing for hire mountain bikes, bike trailers and touring trailer (to tow behind a bike).
- Bike Maintenance: Three hours covering basics of maintaining your bike
- Mechanical Skills: Four hours covering introductory mechanical skills
- Advanced Bike Mechanics: More advanced bike mechanical skills
State Leader - Cycling