Child Safe Scouting
Child Safe Scouting Statement
Scouts Victoria is a child safe organisation with zero-tolerance for any harm, abuse or neglect. We value the diversity of our members, including gender, sexuality, race, religion and ability.
If you are a young person and need some help, you should talk to a trusted adult or call us on 1800 870 772 and we can be your trusted adult. This call is free from any phone including payphones, prepaid mobile phones and your home phone.
If anyone is in immediate danger, always call 000 first.
If you form a reasonable belief that a young person is at risk of harm or you have concerns for their safety or well-being, please contact the Scouts Victoria Child Safety line on 1800 870 772
When to report?
- If a child is at risk of harm or you have concerns for their safety or well-being.
- If a child discloses sexual, physical, psychological or emotional harm or neglect. This includes if a third person (such as parent or friend) discloses on their behalf.
- If you have observed harmful behaviour towards a child or seen suspected signs of abuse
- If you are not sure if you should report or not.
(For example; if you ask the question, should I report it? Then the answer is yes!)
When listening to a young person disclose information.
Listen, support, document & report
- Ensure the situation is safe. Stay in sight, but out of hearing of others.
- Listen to what the young person wants to share.
- Let them take their time, and encourage their own words.
- Ask open questions such as “can you tell me more about that?” instead of leading questions such as “Did they touch you here?”
Support the young person
- Hold back your own emotions and judgements.
- Let the young person know it’s not their fault and they are not in trouble.
- Acknowledge that it must have been difficult to share.
- Inform them that you will report to Scouts Victoria so we can work together to help keep them safe. Do not promise to keep it a secret.
- Be a listener, you are not an investigator.
- Be as specific as you can.
- Use the young person’s own language and words where possible. Differentiate direct quotes from general statements.
- Include who was present, and any other discussions you’ve had i,e, with your GL or other Section Leaders.
Report via 1800 870 772 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please be in contact within 24 hours of any disclosure, concern or notification.
- Scouts Victoria understand that this can be distressing and we are there to support you.
- We may ask you to notify an external authority such as Victoria Police and we can help you do that.
- We will ask you to complete our notification report on our website.
- Remember, if in doubt, make the call.
You can find reporting forms here.
Trigger warning: the articles below discuss child abuse and assault. You can find links to support services and helplines at the bottom of this page.