Skill Requirements for Leaders
No ski-tour Leader Qualification is required for resort-based trips for snow play, tobogganing, or downhill skiing within an alpine resort boundary.
Recommended Leader/Participant ratios:
- One Section Leader or adult for every five (and part thereof) participants (refer definitions for adult involvement under Personnel – adult appointments).
- No ski-tour qualified Leader required is required to be in attendance.
If a group intends to ski beyond snow-play areas or the resort boundary the organising Leader must:
- Be currently qualified to at least Level 1 Ski Touring Leader standard; and
- Undertake a formal Risk Assessment of the activity proposed (being particularly conscious of his or her ability to recognise and assess the risks) and
- If in any doubt, refer to the State Leader Ski Touring:
- to discuss what you intend and to provide some technical input into the planning process, and/or
- to request a qualified ski-tour Leader to assist in the trip planning, and/or
- to participate within the trip as an extra Leader, supplying on-snow technical and snowcraft skills.