SIAs for Joeys & Cubs
Special Interest Areas are all about finding an area of interest in which a Scout can develop themselves, set realistic goals to do so, give it a go, and reflect on learning for next time. Goal setting with Joey Scout and Cub Scouts supports them to:
- Learn how to plan
- Get what they want out of life
- Be focused to ensure success
- Take responsibility for their learning
- Develop powerful life-long habits.
An adult supporter’s job is to assist them to learn how to identify challenges they would like to achieve, write clear, measurable goals, and then create a clear plan to achieve success.
It is important that they:
- Choose their own goals
- Have goals with a personal purpose
- Ensure the steps to achieve goals can be broken down into smaller steps
- Unpack the potential obstacles
For Potential Joey Scout Special Interest Area Project Goal Ideas, click here
For Potential Cub Scout Special Interest Area Project Goal Ideas, click here
The Goal-Ladder strategy:
- On the very top rung is the big goal that you want to achieve.
What will I do?
- How will I do it?
These steps could be written on cards, sticky notes, or a whiteboard so that the steps can be moved around to determine a correct order. The rungs leading to the top are the steps to get there in a logical order. (For Joey Scouts and Cub Scouts, it is probably a small ladder!)
- Use the SIA Project Planning Development Tool, Joey Scouts and Cub Scouts for the Plan> and Review>:
- Which Special Interest Area applies for my activity?
- What is my goal?
- Will I be completing my activity by myself or with a Project Patrol?
- Who will be supporting this project?
Then Plan> Your Project,
- Who else will be involved?
- What will I/we do?
- What will I/we learn?
- How will I/we do it?
The fun part comes next, the Do>! Complete your activity and celebrate all the new things you have learnt and experienced.
The Review> is your opportunity to consider how your next SIA activity can be event better!
As part of the Review> consider:
- What did you enjoy about your Special Interest Area?
- What would you do differently next time?
Discuss your Review> with an adult Leader or another Scouts and start planning your next SIA.