- Potential income - some Groups raise their entire annual funds from selling trees.
- Peak selling opportunity - Three weeks duration, late November to mid December
- High visibility - youth and adult members in local community.
- Gets easier and more financial each year.
Planning (from July or earlier)
- Decide on what to offer e.g. trees (one size or multiple), stands, delivery and/or pick up of tree
- Audience - consider what they could afford and expect in return.
- Site selection - pick where parking is available and can be kept free for tree buyers during the day. Also consider whether amenities are accessible for your team.
- Select suppliers of trees and stands.
- Decide on selling location and days (late November to Christmas generally highest selling)
- Contact local council if necessary
- If necessary apply for permits to sell trees, advertise etc
- Pre-book signage like tear drop banners from Scouts Victoria's marketing team. These are limited so you may like to ask the marketing team for help to order your own.
- Scouts Victoria - advertises on radio, Scouts Victoria website and Facebook. Please register so your location can be promoted. A survey will be promoted closer to the date.
- Signage - approach Real Estate Agents for use of their signs and select sign locations near schools and intersections
- Letterbox drop flyers - at least two to three weeks prior to selling, distribute flyers in neighborhoods.
- Group communications - reach out to all family members and ask them to share your sale details with friends and personal networks.
- Include discussion with parents, during member registration for Group.
- Involvement – youth members and adults. As much uniform as possible.
- Roster forecast – three people each session and three sessions per day.
- Roster – developed by Parent Committee, distribute ASAP and ask all parents to nominate their preferred time then distribute roster at least a month before. Each person is responsible for their own time and a substitute if can’t make it (closer to date)
- Session leaders – confirm who they are and their capacity to lead a successful team/day, ahead of time.
- Pre-purchase - trees, stands, tables, equipment for cutting trees where necessary
- Pre arrange - gazebo (for protection from weather), seats/tables, music, water, sunscreen
- Money Handling - arrange an Eftpos machine and cash float.
On the Day
An example of how your day might run:
- Day - 7.30am-3.30pm
- Session 1:7.30-11.30 – set up, sell and restock
- Session 2: 11.30-3.30 – sell, restock and pack up
- Team Leader - briefs team (youth and adults)
- Approach - Encourage children to help customers, with adult support
- Count stock at start and end of day
- Cash - most tree suppliers expect up-front cash payments
- Forecast - if starting out, pre-purchase conservatively and allow for a potential drop in sales in last week before Christmas
- Reporting - Scouts Victoria will email you a survey to complete either at the end of the year or early the next year. Your report on profit helps Scouts Victoria to effectively support the following year
Read our Festive Fundraising guide here, with tips from Groups who have sold Christmas Trees for years!
Please note, we are unable to assist Groups in finding Christmas Tree suppliers.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org