Venturer and Queen's Scout Award Programs
The Venturer Aeronautical Theory Day is designed for individual or small groups of Venturers seeking to use aviation for their Venturer Awards Pursuit (or Outdoor) Challenge, the program is structured to meet the 10 hour requirement of the Venturer Award and is a foundation for the 20 hour requirement those interested in building to their Queen's Scout Award.
The core program consists of three core sessions and one additional if required:
- Session 1 – face-to-face
- Part 1 - Basic Aeronautical Knowledge including principles of flight, weather and navigation. (This is based on the Explorer and Adventurer Level Scout Target Badges) – about 2.5 to 3.0 hours
- Part 2 - Plan a Cross Country Flight (work through an example “Hike in the Sky. We start by looking at a route and the considerations for hiking that route and possible alternate routes. Then we look at the considerations flying the same route. While we are at it we introduce the aviation charts, sources of aviation weather information, and how to decode aviation weather information, and then the steps involved in calculating the time to fly the route). – about 3.0 to 3.5 hours
- Session 2 – “homework”
- Part 3 - Plan a Cross Country Flight (using the knowledge and materials provided during Part 2, plan a flight over another route based on the forecast that day. If the weather is unsuitable state the reasons why and redo on another day until you get a day with suitable weather). – about 2.0 to 3.0 hours
- Part 4 – Submit you plans for review, make corrections / amendments if required). – about 0.5 hours
- Session 3 – “Advanced Introductory Flight”
- Part 5 – Undertake the “Effects of Controls” flight lesson with an instructor, if you have a logbook you will be able to record this as your first flight training time. Total time for briefing before the flight, instructional flight, an then debrief will be about 1.5 hours.
- Session 4 – “Extra activities”
- If you managed to complete in under 10 hours we will cover the theory required to obtain an aircraft radio operators certificate – phonetic alphabet, radio procedures, etc.
The Queen's Scout Awards program would build on the Venturer Award Program and would be tailored to the individual participant with a varying mix of flying or theory and their specific interest in aviation.
The cost of Session 1 is $30 per participant plus a $0.50 booking fee. A typical cost of Session 3 is $199 per participant.
As for any Venturer or Queen's Scout Award Program activity, you must obtain approval for the activity from your Unit Council in advance and adhere to the timelines agreed.
Registration & Bookings
The schedule date is;
- Sunday, 31 January 2021 - Applications opened on 9 October 2020 and will close on 22 January 2021. Event confirmation with final details will be sent following the close of registrations.
2021 Venturer Award Program Registrations
If you are unable to attend the schedule event and wish to be advise when another event is scheduled please register on our waitlist. Also with sufficient interest other events may be schedule at Moorabbin or regional locations.
2021 Waitlist Registration
Making a booking
You can request can request an event for your unit either at Moorabbin or at a regional location:
- Start by follow the BOOKING link below to the TryBooking website to see the list of available dates, it will open in a new window so you can keep following these instructions
- SELECT a suitable date
- SELECT the Venturer SECTION and then the Venturer Award Theory TITCKET and then enter the estimated number of participants, there is a six (6) participant minimum, if you don't have the minimum enter six and use the comment field to note what you realistically expect.
- NEXT then answer some event specific questions
- When you are finished complete the BOOKING DETAILS and then PURCHASE. You do not make a payment at this time.
- Once your Booking Request has been received, we will create an event based on your request. A Booking Confirmation will be forwarded to the requestor including a TryBooking link to enable the participants to register and pay.
2020 Available Dates & Bookings Requests
For more information or to request an event at another location or on a date not listed, contact email@example.com/
The following document is the Course Worksheet which you will go through during the Course.