The Achievement Pathways are the way we recognise personal progression for individual Scouts and includes a range of different elements. At their core are the Program Essentials – the element we expect all youth members in Scouting to progress through.
The Achievement Pathways provide some structure to the element of the Scout Method we call personal progression. It's important to realise this isn't the only place we apply personal progression through!
The Achievement Pathways fit within the one journey model of Scouting – their framework features a continuous series of personal achievements across the whole program, from the beginning of the Joey Scout section through to the end of the Rover Scout section.
We imagine the whole Achievement Pathways as a journey across a mountain range, with each section of the program exploring a new and more challenging section of the range. You should remember this symbolism as you support Scouts in the journey through the program.
Some Scouts will find that mainly exploring the bases of each mountain fulfils their needs and personal growth. Other Scouts will seek different challenges and journey further up the mountain, or even to the peak.
It's important to realise that not everyone needs to reach the peak; there are plenty of other challenges and opportunities for development along the way.
The Achievement Pathways comprises:
- Program Essentials - A youth member's core Scouting experience
- Outdoor Adventure Skills - Providing youth members the opportunity to experience and pursue activities of interest in the great outdoors
- Special Interest Areas - Providing Scouts opportunity to develop experiences, skills and knowledge in areas that interest them.
- Peak Award - Each Section has a peak award drawing on elements of the Achievement Pathways with requirements appropriate to the age Section.
- Additional Awards - Opportunity for Scouts to explore World Scouting program awards - Better World Framework, recognition of achievements in certain non-Scouting activities and special activity-related badges specified by Scouts Australia.